So i have really been thinking about it MORE lately and i really want to get a tummy tuck done. I have lost a good bit of weight and got down to really low body fats and STILL have the nasty loose skin and the horrible stretch marks. SO NOT FAIR! I feel like its going to be a roadblock in my journey into figure competitions and bodybuilding (hoping to do crossovers soon, yes lots of work to do). I have already had one consultation and the surgeon said i was a good candidate. I still haven’t made the decision as i wanted to hold out and see if my skin would go back, but i seriously doubt it. I have done my research on how long it takes and on tummy tucks and i’m one of those rare cases where the skin doesn’t go back. I think this also impedes my abs from coming out too. I want to feel comfortable in my skin and the tummy is NOT HELPING. Having 4 kids and yo yo dieting most of my life has completely destroyed my midsection. So you may think that its not that bad as per my pictures, but you see i’m flexing and not moving around much. My sister even noticed it. It really puts a downer on me even when i try not to focus on it. I also feel a bit of discrimination towards it when doing my competitions. The tanner doesn’t really help neither nor the Dermablend (actually makes them appear worse). I have tried a few things to soften and fade my stretch marks, but nothing. I have tried the Jean Wu method, Vitamin K, Trilastin (went through 2 tubes of this stuff), aloe vera, and cocoa butter. No luck, these battle scars are really engraved. I have brought it up to my husband of how i really want the tummy tuck, not only will it rid me of most of the stretch marks, but it will rid me of the nasty loose skin. He even mentioned how i am almost perfect EXCEPT for the tummy
I almost cried on that and just want to cry thinking about this. I have gotten some mean comments about them before too
Not cool, i say if you don’t like what you see, you can kiss my a$$! Now the only way i would get the funds to cover this operation would be out of my 401k, i would really hate to do this, but i’m getting really desperate! Not only because of competing, but when i go to the beach, i don’t want to be thinking about who is looking at my stretch marks/loose skin crap and how i have to bend over to pick up stuff. It just SUCKS!! I deserve to be happier with myself. I have yet to bring up my plan to my husband. I have a feeling he will not be 100% up for it. He is not the one that is dealing with the issue. Its been 2 years now that i have gotten my body to a stable weight and bodyfat and i know the skin and stretch marks are not going anywhere. Does anyone know if this will cause issues with me competing in judging? I mean will it count against me? I have a very valid reason. What are your thoughts on this? Sorry to ramble on, but this has really been on my mind. I want to continue competing, but would like to take care of this issue first as i think my chances of building a better physique will be higher. Yes, i know about the scar from hip to hip, but i would rather have that then all the stretch marks that plague my stomach
I know there are people that are all against surgeries and what not, but i really think some of them would really love to get some procedures done themselves. I say don't down the ones that go through it if they really need it. Offer positive advice if you don't agree with it i say.
Sunday, September 28, 2008
To go under the knife or not??
Posted by Peaches*n*Cream at 1:31 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




14 comments:
Hey girl, I can't help you on that one...I go back and forth thinking the same thing!! I think it's such a personal decision and you have to do what is right for you. I don't think you will ever regret doing it though, that's what I hear. You sure make me think though :) I have to say though, looking at you and your pictures, you are perfect as you are...but I know the feeling though when you are all alone standing in the mirror and all you can see is the flap of skin and the marks...it sucks. I'm curious to see the other comments you get and on what you decide. As far as NPC tummy tucks don't matter but some of the natural feds it does. If you want you can call me and we can chat :)
Peaches...
I have seen your photos and I think you look GREAT for being a Mom of four girls. I have the same issues as you, and have also had a consultation with a surgeon. The surgeon also told me that i have a lot of lose skin (six kids, yes...there's loose skin) and it's the one thing about my body that I just don't feel comfortable with. It's so hard to be happy in your own skin when all that loose skin is just hanging there. I tighten up my muscles,...and they are tight, but then there's that skin......
I fully intend to get a tummy tuck when I am able to financially afford it; however, I want to see what I can accomplish on my own first. You have done that..you are there. Just remember any time you go under the knife, there is a risk, though most procedures go smoothly.
Talk it over with your husband, see what his ideas are on the subject. If he knows how unhappy you are with your stretch marks, he will support you no matter what.
And just for the record...I think you look FABULOUS!! You reall inspire me.
If there were ONE thing I could do to my body surgically, it would be a tummy tuck too. I've only had 3 children, but I've got stretch marks and some loose skin that hangs over too. I don't see anything wrong with wanting to improve oneself. Especially, when you've done EVERYTHING else possible. If I had the money I would SO do it in a heartbeat. No matter what anyone says it's YOU who has to feel good in your own skin. If doing this procedure would help you feel better I say go for it! Good luck and I wish you the best with your decision.
Wow, this is some great feedback everyone. THANK YOU for taking the time for reading my blog and offering your support and advice. I was at a point where i didn't really care who looked at them and all and always worried about the risks i would be taking if i did the surgery. I feel like its a bit selfish to do it cause it will affect my family while i'm recovering (cooking, cleaning, taking care...etc) AND the high costs of it. I don't know, sometimes i'm like if i could just get rid of the stretch marks somehow then i would just deal with the loose skin so i don't have to have anything invasive done. Then again, i feel like i deserve this. I started having kids at the very young age of 15 (almost 16) and now i'm 31. Yes, i think the costs are RIDICULOUS and could be well spent somewhere else, but i hear others rave about their tummy tucks and how it really helped them. Well, i don't know too many that have had it done, but the ones that i do know say its the best investment they have ever had. Also i think about it more now since i'm into figure competing and would eventually like to compete in lightweight bodybuilding, but i know since bodybuilders have to do routines (moving around) and most have great abs, that really limits my chances. I want to LIVE life and be a great mother and wife. I know i will never be perfect (not trying to be), but this to me is not a small thing. The pictures just don't show how gruesome my tummy really is. Sucking in that stomach helps some.
I'm not jumping to a surgeon just yet, i'm doing lots of research and still trying to find ways around it if that is even possible. My kids even comment on my tummy and i get so embarrassed! Nothing really mean, they just wonder how i got them and why don't i get rid of them. My oldest understands about it, but my younger ones are just BLUNT! LOL. Kids! You gotta love them.
Tina, i swear i'm not ignoring you girlfriend. I do need to chat with ya, i'm just not much of a phone chatter...lol. We have SOOOO much in common and i know you are one that i can really relate to. You really do feel my pain in this and other aspects of life.
No words of advice, except you have to do what makes you happy. And if this means that much to you... well than I think you have your answer.
Sending hugs!
Peach,
If this is how you really feel - than, DO IT! Without a doubt! To be honest with you, I would not have a second thought if I were you. I am pretty obsessed with my looks... I know it is terrible but we all can blame our society for it!
Bottom line, if it does make you more confident and secure and happy in your own skin - go for it! :)
Hugs, girl! ;)
XOXO
I agree with everyone. You got to do what makes you happy! I also think you look fabulous. My ex had a tummy tuck...he was overweight throughout childhood and no amount of weight loss or lifting got rid of the skin. I was all for it just because I thought it would make him happy but I loved him as is :) The recovery part was ROUGH but in the end he was glad he done it.
I think you should go for it....although, I would hate to cash in a 401K for it.
I have the issue with my chest. When I am really lean, my boobs are gone and I feel very self conscious, even in front of my husband. Its just saggy skin and I hate it.
I would do it in a heartbeat if the money was not an issue.
=)
Just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you! xoxo
I would love to get a mini abdominoplasty. That lower pooch is there ALL the time except for the day OF the show when i'm deathly dehydrated ;) Since I do natural shows and always will that's a no no. Besides I just couldn't phathom spending that much for that. I'll take what God gave me and make the best of it.
Do NOT use your 401K! Your mind could change about competing in a second but you'll ALWAYS need that money down the road...especially the way the world is going.
I never knew that surgery is a no go in natural shows. They allow boobs. Why not tummy tucks.
Yeah, that is a bit crazy about what is allowed and not in the natural shows. I had another consult this Monday with another surgeon and i felt really comfortable and confident with her. She actually offered a mini tummy tuck and some lipo to correct my "sad" belly button. So no new belly button and huge scar. She is charging a bit more though. I really liked her and would go with her. Got to find the right time to do this. I don't want to stay away from the gym too long. They would first do the lipo, then i would have to wait 4 weeks, then go back and get the mini tummy tuck. I asked her about my abs, if they were stretched out and if they needed to be tightened. She checked them and said that i had a pretty strong core so no i don't need that. She also stated how some surgeons go extreme and want to do full tummy tucks on everyone but she was pretty confident that i was a great candidate for the mini tuck. I kept asking to double check. The scar would be similar to a c-section scar, just above the pubic bone and not hip to hip. I was HAPPY to hear this, i was dreading the long scar. The bonus is that i have to part with most of my ugly stretch marks...lol. This is a HUGE decision. I don't just want to do this to look better to compete, i want to feel better about myself and not feel ashamed when i go in public at the beach with my kids or when my husband sees me naked. I think i have put in enough effort and work to try to correct the issue myself so why not? We only live life once.
A few thoughts:
-You are beautiful!
-I FEEL your pain and always toss that idea around in my head. Ive had 2 kids and HATE my saggy skin. The only time it looks okay is on the day of a comp and I am severely dehydrated. Not cool
-You are right - life is too short. Before you know it you will be 80. Why suffer needlessly for decades???
-As for the 401K...Money is meant to be spent right. :)
Now for the cons...
The only thing that holds me back is fear of something going wrong.
Post a Comment